Friday, September 30, 2011

Home

A month and a half ago my parents retired from the mission field and returned to the Philippines. God blessed my father with a very generous brother who let my parents and I stay in his very recently finished condo unit. Last night, over dinner, I mentioned to my parents that I've lived in eight different houses my entire life (with a minimum duration of one year). And although I was aware of how often I've moved, it surprised me that eight houses equates to one house every three years. I said this statement out loud, and my mom looked concerned and tried to reassure me that it was part of their job and since we were renting and returning to the Philippines every four years, we didn't have much choice. You can tell from her change in tone that she was worried I may have psychological issues as an effect of our bouncing around, but honestly I love moving. I love getting up and moving to a new location, and developing a new relationship with a different part of the city, just as long as the people I see everyday don't change (it also helps that for the most part, every house I've lived in has been an upgrade from the last house). And right now, I think I've reached the apex of my house hunting career. The condo I live in is one of the nicest condos in the Philippines -- and if I wasn't such a well-mannered individual I'd probably rub it in everyone's face. (muahahah) But in two years, I may have to move out again, and really I'm fine with that. I look forward to it really, because I know that a new house means a new and unique experience that'll force me to adjust. I look forward to cleansing myself of useless junk that I've accumulated over the years and living off the bare necessities all over again. I get mildly uncomfortable visiting old houses that have not gone through major renovation in a long time, or seeing the accumulation of stuff that are plopped in a corner pretending to be decoration but really don't serve any real purpose at all. I'm a minimalist, that's one you know should know about me. I'm not here to bash sentimental people, I'm just stating my preference. I'm the type of guy who could live in a model home and be totally cool with it.

You can tell I haven't blogged in a while because this post at no direction. Hope you don't mind. I'm trying to get back into blogging, so give me some time.

No comments: